Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby takeshi » Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Depends on the individual and not just AmEx. There are certainly AmEx members who have no problems with large purchases on their charge cards but that may not be relevant to you unless the various factors considered by AmEx are similar enough for you to such people but that doesn't sound likely given your experience with the check spending power button.

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:when I hit the spending power button and put in $5k it says not approved, we need to verify some info please call us. I have the money in the bank and can pay the card off as soon as it post, or even send the electronic payment early if they let me. What do you think?

Do what the message says.


BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby BYTech » Sun May 15, 2016 11:44 pm

I have prepaid a couple hundred dollars before on my charge card and it showed up as a credit on my account. If Amex won't allow you to make $5000 purchase perhaps ask them if you can prepay the $5000
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 9:02 am

Just combined my accounts on Capital one (Quicksilver $2K, into Venture $10K) giving me $12K on Venture, and doing away with one of my AF cards. They make it easy with the request combined accounts button.
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:Just combined my accounts on Capital one (Quicksilver $2K, into Venture $10K) giving me $12K on Venture, and doing away with one of my AF cards. They make it easy with the request combined accounts button.


Sorry, accidently posted this in wrong place.
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 am

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:
gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:Just combined my accounts on Capital one (Quicksilver $2K, into Venture $10K) giving me $12K on Venture, and doing away with one of my AF cards. They make it easy with the request combined accounts button.


Sorry, accidently posted this in wrong place.

Any update about Amex and their request for information?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:
gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:Just combined my accounts on Capital one (Quicksilver $2K, into Venture $10K) giving me $12K on Venture, and doing away with one of my AF cards. They make it easy with the request combined accounts button.


Sorry, accidently posted this in wrong place.

Any update about Amex and their request for information?


No, I will probably be making the charge on my card sometime this week, we are planning to open a Franchise with Cruise planners if meeting with Attorney goes well. The Total Franchise fee is around $10K, so I want to put $5K on my card which will meet my spending requirements for the 50K sign-up bonus. I can even send them the payment ahead of time if they wish.
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 am

BYTech wrote:I have prepaid a couple hundred dollars before on my charge card and it showed up as a credit on my account. If Amex won't allow you to make $5000 purchase perhaps ask them if you can prepay the $5000


Thanks, BYTech, may do that
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 9:39 am

To further answer you Carefulbuilder, I figure when I call them this week to make the purchase, they will let me know.
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am

gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:To further answer you Carefulbuilder, I figure when I call them this week to make the purchase, they will let me know.

Well, I don't know if it's important or not, but I'd probably call them today just to make sure there aren't any other issues to sort out.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

gregshelley@scrtc.com
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Is AMEX good at approving large purchases?

Postby gregshelley@scrtc.com » Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
gregshelley@scrtc.com wrote:To further answer you Carefulbuilder, I figure when I call them this week to make the purchase, they will let me know.

Well, I don't know if it's important or not, but I'd probably call them today just to make sure there aren't any other issues to sort out.


Ok, Thanks
Discover it $3k
BOA CR Visa Sig. $18K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $8.5K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Busin Visa $2K
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests