Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
13 posts
BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby BYTech » Tue May 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I recently applied for the Mercedes Benz Platinum and wanted to share my experience. I also have 4 other Amex cards and have not paid off my balances at the time of my application. After applying I received a message stating that they will review my application further and to check the application status page in 24 hours. The next morning I checked my status and I was declined which was devastating news. The reason of the decline was "The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short". I figured my luck ran out since I was approved for 4 Amex cards just a few weeks prior.

I started googling about Amex recon and found several helpful forum posts and decided to request a manual review. However, before putting the request I paid off most of my balance which totaled approx. $3,000. I put the request via new accounts and they said to call back in 7 to 10 days. I was too antsy to wait 7 days so I called to follow-up the next day. I asked the new accoutns rep if I could be transferred to recon or if there was anything else I can do or provide to help my application. The rep said no and that I will be contacted if more information was needed and told me to call back in 4 to 5 days. Probably 30 minutes later I received an email from new accounts stating I was approved! Super excited! I am assuming paying off balances had something to do with getting approved?

What a relief - I want to say thanks to everyone who contributes and provides their insights to communities like ours (big shout out!). I will definitely be gardening after this one. I am done for awhile (hopefully lol).
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)


User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby Vattené » Tue May 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Congratulations on the approval! I hope you enjoy the Platinum perks and make good use of the Mercedes benefits.

If it helps any with gardening just think: you are pretty "invested" in the MR system now. Not only will no more apps help meet minimum spending for bonuses, but the more you spend on MR cards to earn MR, the more likely/quicker you are able to redeem them at a good value.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby BYTech » Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 pm

Vattené wrote:Congratulations on the approval! I hope you enjoy the Platinum perks and make good use of the Mercedes benefits.

If it helps any with gardening just think: you are pretty "invested" in the MR system now. Not only will no more apps help meet minimum spending for bonuses, but the more you spend on MR cards to earn MR, the more likely/quicker you are able to redeem them at a good value.

Thank you so much Vattené! I can't wait to take advantage of the some of great perks such International Companion. For my needs I believe the Mercedes specific benefits alone provide a lot of value to cover the AF.

You are correct I am definitely locked into MR points. I plan on primarily using MR points towards miles via airline partners (I've read that is typically where you get the most value). I also went ahead and applied for the Citi TY Premier since I still find my self in situations where Amex is not accepted (ie Asian groceries stores and restaurants, my utilities and boutique shops in my neighborhood) and it has more travel categories than my PRG (ie tolls, parking meters in the city and bus/train passes). Citi does not have as many transfer partners as Amex but there is a lot of overlap between the two. It is nice to know that my MR and TY points are working towards the same goal.

It is going to be hard just gardening but I'll have to read other peoples success stories on the forum. I recall you were thinking about pulling the trigger on the MB platinum - any plans on it soon?
Last edited by BYTech on Wed May 04, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby BYTech » Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 am

Also - I spoke with a rep at MB USA and she did not see any reason why I couldn't stack the Mercedes rewards but provided the number to MB Rewards center to verify. If for some reason Mercedes does not allow me to stack the rewards I will try to PC (when I am eligible) my Mercedes revolver to Hilton HHonors to keep my credit line, no annual fee and the automatic Gold status with the Platinum card. Too bad SPG doesn't have a no annual fee card.
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby Nixon » Wed May 04, 2016 5:06 am

I just got approved for this as well.
Image

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby BYTech » Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 am

Nixon wrote:I just got approved for this as well.

Congrats on the approval!! Glad to see others getting approved as well. The additional $25 in AF is well worth it. Hope you enjoy the perks!

My sign on bonus is 50,000 on $3,000 spend in the first 3 months. Do you have the same offer?
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby Nixon » Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 am

BYTech wrote:
Nixon wrote:I just got approved for this as well.

Congrats on the approval!! Glad to see others getting approved as well. The additional $25 in AF is well worth it. Hope you enjoy the perks!

My sign on bonus is 50,000 on $3,000 spend in the first 3 months. Do you have the same offer?


75,000 MR.

I may actually keep this one unless I get a good Biz Plat offer within the next year.
Image

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby BYTech » Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 am

Nixon wrote:
BYTech wrote:
Nixon wrote:I just got approved for this as well.

Congrats on the approval!! Glad to see others getting approved as well. The additional $25 in AF is well worth it. Hope you enjoy the perks!

My sign on bonus is 50,000 on $3,000 spend in the first 3 months. Do you have the same offer?


75,000 MR.

I may actually keep this one unless I get a good Biz Plat offer within the next year.


Nice offer!
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby Vattené » Wed May 04, 2016 9:06 pm

How did you get your 75K offer, Nixon?

It will be a while before I apply, assuming I do. I'm squeezing all the life out of my current car that I can. I'm hoping it will last until we get my wife's car paid. We've been paying extra every month and are on track to get it paid off over a year early, but we'll still have a couple years left. If my car does last, I might apply a little before we get the wife's car paid off and give us some time to earn the certificate, but either way I'm seriously running my current car into the ground before financing something else. After that, the goal will be getting to where I can pay cash for anything beyond this next car.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Mercedes Platinum Denied to Approved

Postby Nixon » Wed May 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Vattené wrote:How did you get your 75K offer, Nixon?

It will be a while before I apply, assuming I do. I'm squeezing all the life out of my current car that I can. I'm hoping it will last until we get my wife's car paid. We've been paying extra every month and are on track to get it paid off over a year early, but we'll still have a couple years left. If my car does last, I might apply a little before we get the wife's car paid off and give us some time to earn the certificate, but either way I'm seriously running my current car into the ground before financing something else. After that, the goal will be getting to where I can pay cash for anything beyond this next car.

Offer is publicly available.

I combo'd it with the outgoing Hilton 75K offer for a single pull twofer.
Image



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests