Another loss for AMEX?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
10 posts
dickey1331
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Another loss for AMEX?

Postby dickey1331 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 am

With Marriott planning to buy SPG, this would be another loss for AMEX as you can only assume those cards would be switched to Chase. Seems like AMEX is on a roll of late. At least competition between AMEX and Chase is good for us.
Platinum Delta Skymiles $12,900
Marriott Rewards Premier $12,000
Discover IT $12,000
USAA Cash Rewards $11,000
American Express Blue Cash Preferred $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $6,500
Best Buy $6,000
Chase Freedom $4,500
Zales $4,000
Amazon Prime $4,000


rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby rockyrock » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:06 am

I too am quite interested to see how this plays out. I think we will be on the losing end no matter how it ends though--unless they leave the SPG program as is.
American Express (2005): Green & Blue Cash Everyday
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

[email protected]
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby [email protected] » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:20 am

dickey1331 wrote:With Marriott planning to buy SPG, this would be another loss for AMEX as you can only assume those cards would be switched to Chase. Seems like AMEX is on a roll of late. At least competition between AMEX and Chase is good for us.



For us Marriott Rewards card holders, what Positives or Negatives do you see?
Discover it $3.5K
BOA CR Visa Sig. $25K
Chase Freedom Visa $2K
Chase MRP Visa Sig. $5K
Cap 1 Vent Visa Sig. $13K
Citi HH Visa Sig. $10.1K
AMEX Plat NPSL
AMEX BCP $20K
AMEX Gold Delta SM $8K
BC AR + WEMC $3.5K
Cap 1 Spark Cash Bus Visa Sig. $4k
Chase Ink Cash Busin Visa Sig. $5K

dickey1331
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby dickey1331 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:32 am

[email protected] wrote:
dickey1331 wrote:With Marriott planning to buy SPG, this would be another loss for AMEX as you can only assume those cards would be switched to Chase. Seems like AMEX is on a roll of late. At least competition between AMEX and Chase is good for us.



For us Marriott Rewards card holders, what Positives or Negatives do you see?


We get more hotel choices especially in the international market but I see our points being devalued even more with the influx of people. It will also be interesting if they allow SPG members to transfer their points.
Platinum Delta Skymiles $12,900
Marriott Rewards Premier $12,000
Discover IT $12,000
USAA Cash Rewards $11,000
American Express Blue Cash Preferred $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $6,500
Best Buy $6,000
Chase Freedom $4,500
Zales $4,000
Amazon Prime $4,000

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby rockyrock » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:03 am

dickey1331 wrote:
We get more hotel choices especially in the international market but I see our points being devalued even more with the influx of people. It will also be interesting if they allow SPG members to transfer their points.


I honestly can't imagine why anyone would move their Starpoints into a system where the points are about 1/5 of the value. Unless they offer a onetime deal of multiple Marriott points for every Starpoint. Most likely the best option will be to use or transfer your Starpoints to a partner with similar value.
American Express (2005): Green & Blue Cash Everyday
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby jcarte29 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:05 am

dickey1331 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
dickey1331 wrote:With Marriott planning to buy SPG, this would be another loss for AMEX as you can only assume those cards would be switched to Chase. Seems like AMEX is on a roll of late. At least competition between AMEX and Chase is good for us.



For us Marriott Rewards card holders, what Positives or Negatives do you see?


We get more hotel choices especially in the international market but I see our points being devalued even more with the influx of people. It will also be interesting if they allow SPG members to transfer their points.



My Dad and I are both Marriott card holders (he has way way more points than I do from his business travel before retirement) and we are pretty stoked about the expansion of hotel options, especially in tropical areas.

I too will be interested to see how the transfer goes, but of course I'm not a SPG member (which means I don't have to worry bout applying for that at least lol)

This makes two mergers I have gone through in the last two years, the other being welcomed into the AAdvantage program via the now defunct US Airways...
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby BYTech » Thu May 05, 2016 8:24 pm

I was recently approved for a Platinum Mercedes Benz card - once I activated my online account, I enrolled for the SPG and Hilton gold statuses.

It has been a few days since I enrolled and my status still says Preferred memeber in the SPG mobile app. However, my Hilton HHonors status has already updated to Gold.

So I received my card today and was browsing through the marketing brochures that came with my card and noticed only the Hilton HHonors Gold was mentioned. I did not did not see SPG mentioned anywhere.

Not sure if my packet is different than a traditional platinum packet but that really concerns me about SPG and Amex's relationship moving forward. Seems like they are already removing them from its marketing.
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:08 pm

BYTech wrote:I was recently approved for a Platinum Mercedes Benz card - once I activated my online account, I enrolled for the SPG and Hilton gold statuses.

It has been a few days since I enrolled and my status still says Preferred memeber in the SPG mobile app. However, my Hilton HHonors status has already updated to Gold.

So I received my card today and was browsing through the marketing brochures that came with my card and noticed only the Hilton HHonors Gold was mentioned. I did not did not see SPG mentioned anywhere.

Not sure if my packet is different than a traditional platinum packet but that really concerns me about SPG and Amex's relationship moving forward. Seems like they are already removing them from its marketing.

I applied for SPG Gold on 4/24 and got the upgrade the next day. I didn't get a "packet" for Schwab Platinum, though. It was shipped with all the ceremony of a BCE. SPG Gold is listed on the Platinum website under "Travel", while Hilton Gold is listed under "At a Glance". I suppose that's odd.
Very useful: SchwabPlat, CSP, IHG, Costco (was AA Plat), Freedom, SPG, Prestige (retention)
Somewhat useful: Discover, ED (was EDP), BCE, Hyatt
SD with activity alerts, might close: Arrival

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech, BofA Travel PH, Aviator Red

BYTech
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby BYTech » Thu May 05, 2016 10:44 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:[
I applied for SPG Gold on 4/24 and got the upgrade the next day. I didn't get a "packet" for Schwab Platinum, though. It was shipped with all the ceremony of a BCE. SPG Gold is listed on the Platinum website under "Travel", while Hilton Gold is listed under "At a Glance". I suppose that's odd.


That's strange - I should probably call someone from SPG. Congrats on the Schwab Plat! I really hope SPG keeps its relationship with Amex but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Cards:
Amex: Platinum Mercedes (5/16), PRG (4/16), Gold (4/16, will close), Mercedes Revolver (4/16), ED (4/16), SPG (5/16), Business Gold (5/16), Business Green (6/16), Business Platinum Delta (6/16), Corporate Green (6/16)
BofA: Cash Rewards (6/07)
Citi: Prestige (5/16), TY Premier (5/16)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Another loss for AMEX?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 am

BYTech wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:[
I applied for SPG Gold on 4/24 and got the upgrade the next day. I didn't get a "packet" for Schwab Platinum, though. It was shipped with all the ceremony of a BCE. SPG Gold is listed on the Platinum website under "Travel", while Hilton Gold is listed under "At a Glance". I suppose that's odd.


That's strange - I should probably call someone from SPG. Congrats on the Schwab Plat! I really hope SPG keeps its relationship with Amex but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Somehow I don't see Marriott Gold replacing SPG Gold as an Amex Platinum perk, when R-C card customers have to use the card a lot just to maintain it.
Very useful: SchwabPlat, CSP, IHG, Costco (was AA Plat), Freedom, SPG, Prestige (retention)
Somewhat useful: Discover, ED (was EDP), BCE, Hyatt
SD with activity alerts, might close: Arrival

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech, BofA Travel PH, Aviator Red



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests