Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
67 posts
Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby Tubpbs » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:24 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Used $75 of 2015 PRG airfare credit. :)


What airline?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Used $75 of 2015 PRG airfare credit. :)


What airline?

Delta. Bags and food. No experience with gift card purchases.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby yfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Just picked up an Amex Offer on Hulu on my BCE. $10 credit for spending $10 or more on Hulu. I bought a one-month subscription for their no-ads plan, which is $11.99. So for the next month, I get to binge on ad free current episodes of shows for 2 bucks. :money:

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby Vattené » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Is that just for signing up for a new account?

I added that offer to my ED, too, but the link just redirects to a page to sign up for an account. (I also usually pay for it through Roku, so that could complicate things if I wanted it even if it's not limited to new customers.)
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby yfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Vattené wrote:Is that just for signing up for a new account?

I added that offer to my ED, too, but the link just redirects to a page to sign up for an account. (I also usually pay for it through Roku, so that could complicate things if I wanted it even if it's not limited to new customers.)

You don't need a new account. I did it on my existing Hulu account. Just sign into Hulu, and then click on the Amex Offers link. You'll be taken to the subscription page I'm not sure how billing through Roku works, though. I was under the impression that Roku was just a platform and you paid for the services individually and directly. The Amex Offer details do say "your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant."

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm an existing Hulu customer and didn't get it.

I was (previously) able to use Amex Checkout at Newegg for 3x$10 back on Hulu renewals, though, so maybe they figure I've gotten enough free/discounted Hulu. :ppp
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby Vattené » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:11 am

yfan wrote:You don't need a new account. I did it on my existing Hulu account. Just sign into Hulu, and then click on the Amex Offers link. You'll be taken to the subscription page I'm not sure how billing through Roku works, though. I was under the impression that Roku was just a platform and you paid for the services individually and directly. The Amex Offer details do say "your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant."

That's good to hear about it not being just for new accounts.
You can pay for them directly from each service and just sign into your account on Roku or you can subscribe through Roku. I had Netflix before I got Roku, and it's just like any other device where you simply sign in to your account. I used a promotion for Hulu when I got the Roku, though, so now the fee I pay for Hulu goes through Roku, I log in to a Roku account to see it, and Roku is the merchant listed on credit card statements. I'm positive I wouldn't get this offer with this set up. In order to get it, I suppose I could cancel the membership through Roku and resubscribe directly with Hulu...
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:12 pm

Vattené wrote:
yfan wrote:You don't need a new account. I did it on my existing Hulu account. Just sign into Hulu, and then click on the Amex Offers link. You'll be taken to the subscription page I'm not sure how billing through Roku works, though. I was under the impression that Roku was just a platform and you paid for the services individually and directly. The Amex Offer details do say "your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant."

That's good to hear about it not being just for new accounts.
You can pay for them directly from each service and just sign into your account on Roku or you can subscribe through Roku. I had Netflix before I got Roku, and it's just like any other device where you simply sign in to your account. I used a promotion for Hulu when I got the Roku, though, so now the fee I pay for Hulu goes through Roku, I log in to a Roku account to see it, and Roku is the merchant listed on credit card statements. I'm positive I wouldn't get this offer with this set up. In order to get it, I suppose I could cancel the membership through Roku and resubscribe directly with Hulu...

Had you ever paid for a Hulu subscription billed directly by Hulu onto an Amex card? I've paid a regular monthly subscription with my EDP before, and have to wonder if that's what made me ineligible.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby Vattené » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Had you ever paid for a Hulu subscription billed directly by Hulu onto an Amex card? I've paid a regular monthly subscription with my EDP before, and have to wonder if that's what made me ineligible.

No. Never paid Hulu directly, and all the Hulu services I've gotten have been paid by Discover.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Amex Offers vs. AFs Challenge

Postby rockyrock » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Used $75 of 2015 PRG airfare credit. :)


Whoa, thanks for reminding me! I've only used $25. I better buy a GC or something.
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests