College Student Approved for Gold

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
17 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:04 pm

JMR wrote:Great advice, I was more just throwing out an app to see if I would get it which was a mistake on my part.


Are you going to keep the Gold for now and hope for a nice PRG offer later (through a new application or a product change)? Or you're considering more complicated options to get a PRG soon?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


User avatar
JMR
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm
Location: United States

Postby JMR » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:53 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Are you going to keep the Gold for now and hope for a nice PRG offer later (through a new application or a product change)? Or you're considering more complicated options to get a PRG soon?


Would I ever get an offer for a PRG since now I have an Amex account? Not exactly sure yet, may stick with it till the end of the year and PC to Green or Cancel. There are better cards out there that I need to research into and find the bonus offers before I go throwing out apps.
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select- $5000 (3/15)
American Express Gold- NPSL (3/15)
Chase Freedom- $1200 (3/15)
Nordstrom- $1500 (9/14)
Discover IT- $1000 (2/14)

TCL: $8700

FICO (TU)- 716 (3/15)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:09 pm

JMR wrote:Would I ever get an offer for a PRG since now I have an Amex account? Not exactly sure yet, may stick with it till the end of the year and PC to Green or Cancel. There are better cards out there that I need to research into and find the bonus offers before I go throwing out apps.


It is certainly possible to get offers on future cards once you're in with Amex. I got a Platinum offer not long after I got my PRG. There are some restrictions on some offers, though. When I got my BCE, I applied through a web link for a bonus that wasn't meant for existing customers. I missed out on $100 that way, and I will definitely be more careful in the future when applying for another Amex. I'm not an expert at juggling Amex bonuses, so someone else will need to advise you about that. But it is definitely possible to make a mistake.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
JMR
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm
Location: United States

Postby JMR » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Well. Since I was stupid for not applying for the bonus offer for PRG, I applied for a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select 50k bonus with the intentions of not getting it and they approved me for 5k limit... So that's pretty sweet because I was planning on applying for that later because when I fly it's normally with American.
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select- $5000 (3/15)
American Express Gold- NPSL (3/15)
Chase Freedom- $1200 (3/15)
Nordstrom- $1500 (9/14)
Discover IT- $1000 (2/14)

TCL: $8700

FICO (TU)- 716 (3/15)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 am

JMR wrote:Well. Since I was stupid for not applying for the bonus offer for PRG, I applied for a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select 50k bonus with the intentions of not getting it and they approved me for 5k limit... So that's pretty sweet because I was planning on applying for that later because when I fly it's normally with American.


It can certainly make sense to get a card with free checked bags if you fly one airline a lot and don't have another card that gives an airline extras credit (like PRG will soon have) or a general travel credit (like Ritz has).

I think you mean that you thought your odds of getting it were slim. I should advise you against applying for a card when you expect to be denied, but I have to admit I did that in the case of Sallie Mae. It's still not ideal, though.

Just be sure to keep track of all the minimum spending requirements for the three new cards.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Postby amex007 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

I have the Gold card and never switched to PGR bc i don't fly much but starting june 1, they're supposed to do 2x pts on dining and no forex which would be awesome. It goes from $125 to 160 but worth it imo. Plus i just like having a gold card in my wallet :)
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:01 pm

amex007 wrote:I have the Gold card and never switched to PGR bc i don't fly much but starting june 1, they're supposed to do 2x pts on dining and no forex which would be awesome. It goes from $125 to 160 but worth it imo. Plus i just like having a gold card in my wallet :)


If you like the Amex Gold, I think you'll find the PRG a much better value. You'd get better rewards, superior roadside assistance, and the $100 airline credit for only $35 more. The regular Gold and Green seem almost indistinguishable from the no-AF Amex ED now.

Although if you just want something shiny to show off, then Gold would accomplish that.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests