$600 package is lost. What can I do?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
13 posts
Packagepickup
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 pm
Location: nyc

$600 package is lost. What can I do?

Postby Packagepickup » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Ordered item using AMEX PRG. Was returning using the prepaid label sent with package. Dropped off the package in a UPS drop-off box.. check a few dates later, tracking number never updated. Assume package was stolen since it was never scanned into UPS system.

UPS says to contact the Merchant; merchant says to contact UPS.

What can I do? I did record myself placing the item into the drop off box, and the tracking number is visible on the package... and you know once you place an item in there and clsoe the bin, theres no way you can go in and take it back out.

How do I get a refund? Should I try to resolve with UPS/Merchant first? Then go to AMEX? I'm in good standing with AMEX.. and have both the Platinum and PRG and always make payments on time and in full

Thanks guys.. will be monitoring this thread


darkguy2
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am
Location: United States

Postby darkguy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Honestly, I am not sure what leg you have to stand on. You can hope that UPS forgot to scan your package, but it is still on the way. I had one that I dropped off at a UPS store without getting a receipt. It was my $1000 class ring and it did not show up on tracking for a few days. It turned out ok in that case, but from that day on I ALWAYS get a receipt and make them scan it in. That way I have proof that I dropped it off.
Discover IT - $5,700
Chase Freedom - $5,700
Costco Citi - $13,000
Sallie Mae - $4,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $19,500
Citi Double Cash - $6,500
Amex BCE - $13,000

FICOs: Discover (777), SallieMae (764), Amex (767), Citi (772)
FAKOs: CK- TU (760), EQ (760)

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Packagepickup wrote:Ordered item using AMEX PRG. Was returning using the prepaid label sent with package. Dropped off the package in a UPS drop-off box.. check a few dates later, tracking number never updated. Assume package was stolen since it was never scanned into UPS system.

UPS says to contact the Merchant; merchant says to contact UPS.

What can I do? I did record myself placing the item into the drop off box, and the tracking number is visible on the package... and you know once you place an item in there and clsoe the bin, theres no way you can go in and take it back out.

How do I get a refund? Should I try to resolve with UPS/Merchant first? Then go to AMEX? I'm in good standing with AMEX.. and have both the Platinum and PRG and always make payments on time and in full

Thanks guys.. will be monitoring this thread


Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems rather unusual to make a recording of yourself dropping the package off then it comes up missing. I know I've never made a recording of myself dropping a package. Is it a video, or a still photo of you dropping it into the bin and closing the door? If it's a photo, then it looks very odd. A video is somewhat harder to dispute.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

Packagepickup
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 pm
Location: nyc

Postby Packagepickup » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Its a video.

I made a habit of myself shipping goods from when I used sell items through eBay to cover myself. I only recorded myself since it was a pretty pricy item.

If they assumed I never dropped the item off, building surveillance would show me entering with a box and leaving without one

augiedog
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:46 am
Location: Broward County FL

Postby augiedog » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

I've had return items never even entered into the tracking even though they arrive at the return facility. I've had this type of experience with Nordstroms and a college textbook buyback.
American Express: Blue Cash Everyday (10k), Everyday, ; Discover It (7.3k) ; Target (2.1k)

Citi: Diamond (2k) ; Bank of America: Cash Rewards (2.6k) ; Capital One: Quicksilver (3k) , Sony ; Chase: Freedom (3.7k), Slate (3k), (Amazon) ; Barclay Ring ; Synchrony: Walmart MC, Amazon, Ebates

flan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: chicago

Postby flan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Battery111 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems rather unusual to make a recording of yourself dropping the package off then it comes up missing. I know I've never made a recording of myself dropping a package. Is it a video, or a still photo of you dropping it into the bin and closing the door? If it's a photo, then it looks very odd. A video is somewhat harder to dispute.


Yes. Very strange, unless you go around with a camera on your forehead recording everything. But don't drop anything important in a dropbox, because they get lost, stolen etc. Take it to a ups store, staples, etc or hand it to a driver and watch him scan it.

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Battery111 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems rather unusual to make a recording of yourself dropping the package off then it comes up missing. I know I've never made a recording of myself dropping a package. Is it a video, or a still photo of you dropping it into the bin and closing the door? If it's a photo, then it looks very odd. A video is somewhat harder to dispute.


flan wrote:Yes. Very strange, unless you go around with a camera on your forehead recording everything. But don't drop anything important in a dropbox, because they get lost, stolen etc. Take it to a ups store, staples, etc or hand it to a driver and watch him scan it.


Actually, it is a common practice when dealing with eBay, PayPal and Amazon due to the insanely high amount of scams going on these days. It has been used to save sellers who are dealing with scamming buyers who try to get free items.

flan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: chicago

Postby flan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm

lobbythis wrote:Actually, it is a common practice when dealing with eBay, PayPal and Amazon due to the insanely high amount of scams going on these days. It has been used to save sellers who are dealing with scamming buyers who try to get free items.


Really? A video of putting a box in a box is more convincing than the tracking provided by UPS, et al?

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:02 pm

flan wrote:Really? A video of putting a box in a box is more convincing than the tracking provided by UPS, et al?


Many scammers first method for getting free products is the simple claim that the seller sent a box of rocks. If the seller has video evidence of boxing and dropping off with correct label, it is proof the real item was sent. The world of ecommerce is hell if you don't know what you're doing. It's how I survive and I sell on many platforms in which I still get scammed in various ways every year.

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:26 am

lobbythis wrote:Many scammers first method for getting free products is the simple claim that the seller sent a box of rocks. If the seller has video evidence of boxing and dropping off with correct label, it is proof the real item was sent. The world of ecommerce is hell if you don't know what you're doing. It's how I survive and I sell on many platforms in which I still get scammed in various ways every year.


It is a depraved world we live in... I have sold a few things on eBay and I've never thought to do something like take a video of packaging and shipping the item, but I will in the future. Crazy how people are so willing to screw each other.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests