Amex PRG Changes

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
15 posts
HookEmHorns
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Dallas/Austin

Amex PRG Changes

Postby HookEmHorns » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:13 pm

According to the points guy the PRG will lose its forex fees, will add 2x for dining, add an annual $100 airline fee credit and have it's annual fee rise to $195.

All of this starts in June.

Thoughts?
AMEX PRG~1/14--backdated to 2012
AMEX BCE~6/13--backdated to 2012
Chase Freedom~5/13
Discover IT ~12/12

:cool:


Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

I think I'm going to cancel this card. The loss of the 15k point bonus at 30k spend did it in for me. An increase in the already ridiculous annual fee is flat out insulting.

whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Postby whit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:29 am

The 15k bonus if u spend 30k on top of everything else sucks but

It's 20$ to get rid of 2.7% ftf--to get 2x for dining--and 100$ airline credit <--feels like this could be higher but that's just me

Not bad for what it's currently offering. Really good for those who travel a lot so it makes sense they allow dining on top of flights and gas..plus groceries..seems like a pretty well rounded card

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 am

Do you know if the higher AF kicks in for everyone on 6/1/15? Or it applies immediately to anyone who opens one on or after that date, but not to existing accounts until each account's next anniversary?

I expect the airline credit will only apply to one airline you specify in advance, like the way it works on the Amex Platinum. I'd rather have a flexible $50 any-airline credit than a single-airline $100 credit.

It's about time they stopped charging FTFs!

Edit: Is there any way to wait until after a trip to specify the airline that you want the credit on? What happens when a Platinum cardmember doesn't pick an airline?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

After some further research:

The higher AF doesn't kick in until the next account anniversary after 6/1/15. So I don't pay $195 until May 2016.

The airline credit is like Platinum's - one airline, chosen in advance.

At first, I was on the fence about it. I'm not loyal to any airline, but if I can make an reasonable guess about which ones I'll be using the next year, then the $100 air credit would be worth about $40 for me (maybe 60% chance of $0, 40% chance of $100 in bags/food/drinks roundtrip).

Small Business Saturday I'll value at $25.

That leaves AAA-type roadside service, special offers, keeping open one of my older accounts, emergency assistance, NPSL, and other harder-to-value benefits costing me $110 until 6/2016 and $130 a year after that. I'd say it's worth it, even if I just use the card for airfare, special offers, and things I need a good warranty on. CSP will remain for all other travel and I'll be earning a lot of URs to transfer.

The regular Gold is going up to $160 a year! I don't know if it gets any of the new benefits that PRG gets. I really suggest that anyone with a Gold consider moving up to PRG or Platinum or closing the account!
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:After some further research:

The higher AF doesn't kick in until the next account anniversary after 6/1/15. So I don't pay $195 until May 2016.

The airline credit is like Platinum's - one airline, chosen in advance.

At first, I was on the fence about it. I'm not loyal to any airline, but if I can make an reasonable guess about which ones I'll be using the next year, then the $100 air credit would be worth about $40 for me (maybe 60% chance of $0, 40% chance of $100 in bags/food/drinks roundtrip).

Small Business Saturday I'll value at $25.

That leaves AAA-type roadside service, special offers, keeping open one of my older accounts, emergency assistance, NPSL, and other harder-to-value benefits costing me $110 until 6/2016 and $130 a year after that. I'd say it's worth it, even if I just use the card for airfare, special offers, and things I need a good warranty on. CSP will remain for all other travel and I'll be earning a lot of URs to transfer.

The regular Gold is going up to $160 a year! I don't know if it gets any of the new benefits that PRG gets. I really suggest that anyone with a Gold consider moving up to PRG or Platinum or closing the account!


I really can't imagine why anyone would get the regular gold. I see pretty much no value in it over the green.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Postby luvbullmarkets » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

The PRG now seems more comparable to CSP. Baring that a cardholder takes advantage of the annual $100 credit. Effectively lowering the A/F to $95.

I could see Platinum cardholders PC to PRG. Especially with the recent loss of certain airport lounge access, reports of mediocre concierge service, and lack of bonus spend categories.

If PRG was my primary spend card I could easily wipe away the $195 fee.
Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE , Barclaycard Arrival+ WEMC, CSP Visa Signature, Discover it, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 pm

luvbullmarkets wrote:The PRG now seems more comparable to CSP. Baring that a cardholder takes advantage of the annual $100 credit. Effectively lowering the A/F to $95.


That $100 credit can be tricky if someone has no airline loyalty and only flies once every few months. The airline you specify at the start of the year might have more expensive tickets than competitors when a traveler wants to use the benefit a few months later.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:That $100 credit can be tricky if someone has no airline loyalty and only flies once every few months. The airline you specify at the start of the year might have more expensive tickets than competitors when a traveler wants to use the benefit a few months later.


Although if that happens then generally people just buy gift cards on the airline they selected in December. Even though they're officially excluded, reports abound that AMEX still credits those charges. Then save said gift cards for when that airline is cheaper the next year.

It's easier for people in my situation. Where I live AA is the only carrier so that's always who I'll fly. I could drive a couple hours to get to a larger airport with more carriers, but then there are also higher parking fees, a few tolls, and gas. So it's generally not economical. If you live in a competitive area I can understand how it would be a tougher call to make for the infrequent traveler.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

HookEmHorns
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Dallas/Austin

Postby HookEmHorns » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm very interested in this card, but the $100 airline fee credit "scares" me. I've also read many reports of folks buying gift cards with the credit, but who knows when amex will nip that in the bud. I just don't fly frequently enough to justify the annual fee if they were to stop allowing people to buy gift cards. Other than that, I love the idea of a charge card with bonus categories in all the areas I spend most of my money.

FYI, i no longer have a PRG. I only had one for a year before I cancelled due to the annual fee. Just haven't update my sig.
AMEX PRG~1/14--backdated to 2012
AMEX BCE~6/13--backdated to 2012
Chase Freedom~5/13
Discover IT ~12/12

:cool:



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests