Centurion Lounge Vegas

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
12 posts
Gb24
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:44 pm
Location: Illinois

Centurion Lounge Vegas

Postby Gb24 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Just recently came from Vegas and spent some time in the Centurion Lounge before my flight.

If I would have known it was that nice, I would've left the hotel earlier.
Great experience, hopefully we get one in Ohare airport soon. :)


ingramjuan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm
Location: EARTH

Postby ingramjuan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:31 am

Heading to Vegas in a few months, and was thinking about stopping to checkout the lounge. Of course I have to pay as I only have the AMEX Delta card, was wondering if its worth the small price?
CARDS:
Capital One Platinum (2001) |Capital One QuickSilver World (2002) | Amex Gold Delta (2013) | Best Buy Visa (2013) |Discover It (2015) | Amex Platinum (2015)

Gardening Since: June, 2015

Next Cards:
Personal: Chase Freedom Unlimited
Business: Amex Plum
Store Card: Lowes

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 am

ingramjuan wrote:Heading to Vegas in a few months, and was thinking about stopping to checkout the lounge. Of course I have to pay as I only have the AMEX Delta card, was wondering if its worth the small price?


Personally I think so, but it would depend on a few things. How long are you planning on staying in the lounge. What do you plan on doing there? If you're only going to be there for 45 mins or so probably not worth it. If you generally pass your time in the airport at the bar drinking, then depending on the length and what you like to drink it could actually save you money since the booze is free. Just gotta tip.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby jcarte29 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:01 am

Battery111 wrote:If you generally pass your time in the airport at the bar drinking, then depending on the length and what you like to drink it could actually save you money since the booze is free. Just gotta tip.



Are all lounges past security? I am flying in May and utilizing a couple US Airways Club Passes I have, but I recently got my first AMEX (Everyday) Card, are they similar to each other?
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 am

The Centurion lounge is much nicer than the U.S. Airways lounges/Admirals clubs. Better free booze and better food. The Centurion at Laguardia is before security but all the others are past security. If you're flying on American from LAS then the lounge is pretty close to the American gates.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby jcarte29 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:26 am

jcarte29 wrote:Are all lounges past security? I am flying in May and utilizing a couple US Airways Club Passes I have, but I recently got my first AMEX (Everyday) Card, are they similar to each other?


From what I read I would have to buy a pass for having an AMEX E-day card though, correct? (in other words no true price difference lol and the US Airways Pass I have was complimentary for my US Airways Card)
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:35 pm

jcarte29 wrote:From what I read I would have to buy a pass for having an AMEX E-day card though, correct? (in other words no true price difference lol and the US Airways Pass I have was complimentary for my US Airways Card)


That is correct. They'll charge you $50 at the door for a 24 hour pass. However this pass is good across all of their lounges so if you're traveling with layovers to a couple airports that have a centurion lounge this can help offset the cost.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:43 pm

It seems smart to me to spend $50 to try the perk once before making the leap to Platinum.

How crowded do the Centurion lounges tend to be compared to airline-specific lounges?

I'm a points convert, but I still look for the cheap seats. I was going through LGA not long ago, and would have tried it if not for a tight schedule and the extra security delay.
Very useful: SchwabPlat, CSP, IHG, Costco (was AA Plat), Freedom, SPG, Prestige (retention)
Somewhat useful: Discover, ED (was EDP), BCE, Hyatt
SD with activity alerts, might close: Arrival

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech, BofA Travel PH, Aviator Red

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:28 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:It seems smart to me to spend $50 to try the perk once before making the leap to Platinum.

How crowded do the Centurion lounges tend to be compared to airline-specific lounges?

I'm a points convert, but I still look for the cheap seats. I was going through LGA not long ago, and would have tried it if not for a tight schedule and the extra security delay.


It really varies based on the time of day, airport, and which airline lounge were comparing to. I'm an Admirals club member as well because of my unfortunate smoking habit. Two of the admirals clubs in DFW have smoking lounges, and are the only place behind security at Dfw you can smoke. Since I use DFW as my hub I get a lot of use out of this. So for DFW during peak business travel, both Centurion and Admirals clubs are crowded. Admirals club maybe less so, since there are four of them at DFW but crowded nonetheless. However, I've never had an issue finding a seat at either, whether it be at the bar or in the general seating area.

AMEX does a great job keeping the buffet stocked even during busy times. When items run out they are generally replaced quickly. The food is also pretty decent, and each location has a regional type menu. The cocktail menus are also regional. Also it is quite nice to be able to get a substantial meal for "free". At the admirals club it's generally a veggie tray and some snack mix, or something similar, although I did recently receive an email that they're going to be adding soups and a few other things soon for free. Otherwise you have to buy your food there, and it's really not all that good.

The only free booze at the admirals club is well liquor and your typical lower cost beers like bud light, as well as house wine. Centurion offers complimentary higher end booze, like Bulleit, Belvedere, Bombay, etc. as well as some local beer selections and what is probably halfway decent wine, although I don't usually drink wine so I'm just guessing. This may or may not be important to you. You only get the higher end stuff for free at the admirals club if you're on a transcontinental or international flight in a premium cabin, or coach with some status.

So to answer your original question I would say the crowding is comparable to an airline lounge. I've noticed the centurion lounges getting busier lately as it's caught on, but for the most part AMEX has done a decent job of keeping up with the demand.

One other perk to airline lounges that people forget about is ticket assistance. AMEX simply can't compete in this area since the airline lounge employees actually work for the airline. It can be invaluable when your flight gets cancelled, and there are 200 passengers lined up to see the two reps at the gate to get their flight rebooked. You simply pop into the airline lounge and essentially cut the whole line. I've had some amazing service from admirals club employees actively monitoring my flight status and rebooking me as necessary before an official announcement is even made.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Battery111 wrote:One other perk to airline lounges that people forget about is ticket assistance. AMEX simply can't compete in this area since the airline lounge employees actually work for the airline. It can be invaluable when your flight gets cancelled, and there are 200 passengers lined up to see the two reps at the gate to get their flight rebooked. You simply pop into the airline lounge and essentially cut the whole line. I've had some amazing service from admirals club employees actively monitoring my flight status and rebooking me as necessary before an official announcement is even made.


That is definitely a useful perk. I'll keep it in mind if my anticipated air travel gets more frequent and/or complicated.
Very useful: SchwabPlat, CSP, IHG, Costco (was AA Plat), Freedom, SPG, Prestige (retention)
Somewhat useful: Discover, ED (was EDP), BCE, Hyatt
SD with activity alerts, might close: Arrival

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech, BofA Travel PH, Aviator Red



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests