MSD Related Question

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
9 posts
Jarrodpd
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

MSD Related Question

Postby Jarrodpd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:37 am

I was seeing on Myfico how people are getting 2015 start dates on their new Amex cards, I was wondering how this would work for someone that already has a locked in date. Im waiting till January to get a Platinum, however if they are potentially issuing January MSD cards would this apply to me since 2014 is already locked in? Or would I just get a December 2014 date since I'm not new to Amex.
[size=80]USAA Secured Mastercard: $600 @9.9% APR
USAA Platinum Mastercard: $1500 @12.9% APR CLIed to $2500
American Express HHonors no AF: $2900 @17.24% APR CLIed to $8700
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL

Exp: 721|Equ: 708|Tu: 729 (5th October 2014)[/size] | Exp: 743|Equ: 734|Tu: 743 (3rd December 2014)


popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 am

Interesting question. I heard heard of some people applying late in January getting MSD 2015 dates. I think just to be on the safe side, apply on January 1st if you want that card ASAP and still want the benefits of backdating. It's only a couple of more days of waiting anyway.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Jarrodpd wrote:I was seeing on Myfico how people are getting 2015 start dates on their new Amex cards, I was wondering how this would work for someone that already has a locked in date. Im waiting till January to get a Platinum, however if they are potentially issuing January MSD cards would this apply to me since 2014 is already locked in? Or would I just get a December 2014 date since I'm not new to Amex.


If people that applied in December 2014 (save for 12/31 and maybe 12/30) are receiving cards with 2015 MSD's then there is clearly a problem...

You should wait until 1/1/15 to apply to be sure that your new account reflects as opened in January of your original Member Since year. I applied 1/27/12 for my Zync and it was correctly established as opened 1/1999 since 1999 is my MSD.

User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm thinking about applying or upgrading for the platinum during June (that's when I have to renew my prg)- also remember they give the $200 credit? If one applies during the middle of the year you'll be getting 2x$200 airline credits since they renew that benefit every calendar year.. So one will get a $400 airline credit during the first year of having the card!
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710
BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]
American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]
Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]
Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)
TCL-$19,800
Age-22

Jarrodpd
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Postby Jarrodpd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 pm

nismoZtuner wrote:I'm thinking about applying or upgrading for the platinum during June (that's when I have to renew my prg)- also remember they give the $200 credit? If one applies during the middle of the year you'll be getting 2x$200 airline credits since they renew that benefit every calendar year.. So one will get a $400 airline credit during the first year of having the card!


Im not really worried about getting the extra airline credits, I will be heading out of the country over spring break so having a card with 0% FTF is somewhat crucial. Also I plan on meeting the spending bonus fairly easy, I have to pay for tuition and books and that will be easily $1500 of the $3k. Back to the spring break trip I plan on having my parents book airfare with my card since it has good trip insurance because we will be taking things worth a lot like dive computers and iPads, so if something were to happen Amex would pick up what the airliner didn't.
[size=80]USAA Secured Mastercard: $600 @9.9% APR

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $1500 @12.9% APR CLIed to $2500

American Express HHonors no AF: $2900 @17.24% APR CLIed to $8700

American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL

American Express Platinum: NPSL



Exp: 721|Equ: 708|Tu: 729 (5th October 2014)[/size] | Exp: 743|Equ: 734|Tu: 743 (3rd December 2014)

Jarrodpd
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Postby Jarrodpd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:49 pm

CC Deville wrote:If people that applied in December 2014 (save for 12/31 and maybe 12/30) are receiving cards with 2015 MSD's then there is clearly a problem...

You should wait until 1/1/15 to apply to be sure that your new account reflects as opened in January of your original Member Since year. I applied 1/27/12 for my Zync and it was correctly established as opened 1/1999 since 1999 is my MSD.


Someone on there was saying the last 7 days of a month are just bumped to the month ahead. I tried thinking about it only to realise both cards I got from Amex were in the beginning of the month and the middle.
[size=80]USAA Secured Mastercard: $600 @9.9% APR

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $1500 @12.9% APR CLIed to $2500

American Express HHonors no AF: $2900 @17.24% APR CLIed to $8700

American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL

American Express Platinum: NPSL



Exp: 721|Equ: 708|Tu: 729 (5th October 2014)[/size] | Exp: 743|Equ: 734|Tu: 743 (3rd December 2014)

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Postby CC Deville » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Jarrodpd wrote:Someone on there was saying the last 7 days of a month are just bumped to the month ahead. I tried thinking about it only to realise both cards I got from Amex were in the beginning of the month and the middle.


Weird. I am sure it is a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation but it seems absurd that someone that applies-and is approved-for a card on, say 24 December 2014 should have an opening date of 1 January 2015. I applied online and was approved for my Zync with just 4 days left of January 2012 and it reports correctly as opened 1/99. Correctly being loose of course since it wasn't really opened in 1999.

realmadrid7
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: Dover,Delaware

Postby realmadrid7 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm one of those people that got a 2015 MSD for applying late in December. I was approved on the 25th and activated the card on the 27th . I chatted with amex a couple times with no luck . The last rep I talked to told me to expect new cards with 2014 MSD in 7-10 days . We'll see . The online account still says MS 2015 .

Jarrodpd
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Postby Jarrodpd » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:36 pm

realmadrid7 wrote:I'm one of those people that got a 2015 MSD for applying late in December. I was approved on the 25th and activated the card on the 27th . I chatted with amex a couple times with no luck . The last rep I talked to told me to expect new cards with 2014 MSD in 7-10 days . We'll see . The online account still says MS 2015 .


What was your issuing month and date? Was it 12/19 or 1/20.
[size=80]USAA Secured Mastercard: $600 @9.9% APR

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $1500 @12.9% APR CLIed to $2500

American Express HHonors no AF: $2900 @17.24% APR CLIed to $8700

American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL

American Express Platinum: NPSL



Exp: 721|Equ: 708|Tu: 729 (5th October 2014)[/size] | Exp: 743|Equ: 734|Tu: 743 (3rd December 2014)



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests