I have AMEX Green but want to go for Platinum. Chances?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
14 posts
jake247
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 2:17 pm
Location: New York

I have AMEX Green but want to go for Platinum. Chances?

Postby jake247 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi all - I’ve been a Green Card member since this spring (May I believe) and have spent about $12k with it so far. I was approved instantly when i applied back in May. My new job will require me to do more traveling so I’d like to up for the Platinum card. I’m told I cannot simply ‘upgrade’ from Green to Platinum but rather I need to reapply for the Platinum and then if I get approved I can just cancel the Green. My question is what do you think my chances are of getting the Platinum? Are the qualifications/criteria the exact same for Platinum as they are for the Green Card? I appreciate everyone’s help. Thanks.


Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:55 pm

The underwriting requirements are the same for all charge cards. You just need to call and product change your Green to a Platinum on the 13th month you've had it, if you don't want to have to apply for it separately.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:07 pm

I was successful applying separately for platinum in a similar situation. Only thing I may recommend, and perhaps somebody with more knowledge can chime in here, would be to wait until January to apply. The reason I say this is that as I understand it the backdating only applies to the year, not the month your first amex account was established. So in effect by applying in January you would get a better backdate than if you applied now. Again, I may be wrong so hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will chime in.

On another note, keep in mind there isn't a ton of harm in applying. Since you already have an Amex it will just be a soft pull if declined so it won't hurt your score any.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Battery111 wrote:I was successful applying separately for platinum in a similar situation. Only thing I may recommend, and perhaps somebody with more knowledge can chime in here, would be to wait until January to apply. The reason I say this is that as I understand it the backdating only applies to the year, not the month your first amex account was established. So in effect by applying in January you would get a better backdate than if you applied now. Again, I may be wrong so hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will chime in.

On another note, keep in mind there isn't a ton of harm in applying. Since you already have an Amex it will just be a soft pull if declined so it won't hurt your score any.


His member since date has already been established as this year. It won't matter when he applies. If he applies separately, I'm pretty certain it will be a hard pull. I thought only credit limit increases were soft pulls if denied. My advice would be to wait until the 13th month you've had the card and PC it if possible. If you can't wait that long, the odds of being approved or not are the same for all charge cards, so odds are you'll be approved unless your credit scroes have dramatically dropped since you got your Green.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

flan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: chicago

Postby flan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 am

Robrus1 wrote:His member since date has already been established as this year. It won't matter when he applies.


Well, if he waits to january, the account will show as opened in january of 2014, not 2015, a year older than it is. That's better than having been opened in dec of 2014....

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 am

Robrus1 wrote:His member since date has already been established as this year. It won't matter when he applies.

The post you're quoting is saying that if the OP is approved now for an AmEx the card will report as opened in 12/2014 whereas if the OP is approved in January the card will report as opened on 1/2014 due to backdating, a difference of 11 months.

EDIT: flan beat me to it.

Robrus1 wrote:If he applies separately, I'm pretty certain it will be a hard pull. I thought only credit limit increases were soft pulls if denied.

Hard if approved and soft if denied is typical for AmEx members. CLI's are soft regardless of decision.

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

takeshi wrote:The post you're quoting is saying that if the OP is approved now for an AmEx the card will report as opened in 12/2014 whereas if the OP is approved in January the card will report as opened on 1/2014 due to backdating, a difference of 11 months.

EDIT: flan beat me to it.


Hard if approved and soft if denied is typical for AmEx members. CLI's are soft regardless of decision.


That's what I was trying to convey.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:24 pm

My mistake.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

Gb24
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:44 pm
Location: Illinois

Postby Gb24 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

You can call them after a year and they'll upgrade you. I just actually did it from the Green to the Platinum 2 weeks ago. It's not a inquiry either. Just a simple product change.

ingramjuan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm
Location: EARTH

Postby ingramjuan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:36 pm

I am also waiting to apply for the Platinum card in late January and or February of 2015, due to work travel also. I figured after 19 months of having my first AMEX i will have a good chance of getting the card. I will have to follow your thread to see if you get the card in a short period of time.
CARDS:
Capital One Platinum (2001) |Capital One QuickSilver World (2002) | Amex Gold Delta (2013) | Best Buy Visa (2013) |Discover It (2015) | Amex Platinum (2015)

Gardening Since: June, 2015

Next Cards:
Personal: Chase Freedom Unlimited
Business: Amex Plum
Store Card: Lowes



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests