I pretty much put all my spend on Amex these days

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
19 posts
MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

I pretty much put all my spend on Amex these days

Postby MemberSince99 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm

The ONLY thing left that I have that doesn't take Amex is rent, though I do hope to buy, but otherwise, I pay for everything on my Amex cards.


Chase right now has 5% on the Freedom on gas, and instead of that, I pull the Amex EDP and swipe it on that.


I'm sure some think I'm nuts, but my reasoning is, I may as well cultivate the lenders I fit best with who want my business. I've never gotten any auto luv on Chase (most don't so it's not that uncommon) and they seem just kinda indifferent, which is better than they don't want your business at all, but Amex pretty much showed they wanted it (along with Associated) and hence that's where the swipes go, rewards or no.


Moneytalks
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: United States

Postby Moneytalks » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:The ONLY thing left that I have that doesn't take Amex is rent, though I do hope to buy, but otherwise, I pay for everything on my Amex cards.


Chase right now has 5% on the Freedom on gas, and instead of that, I pull the Amex EDP and swipe it on that.


I'm sure some think I'm nuts, but my reasoning is, I may as well cultivate the lenders I fit best with who want my business. I've never gotten any auto luv on Chase (most don't so it's not that uncommon) and they seem just kinda indifferent, which is better than they don't want your business at all, but Amex pretty much showed they wanted it (along with Associated) and hence that's where the swipes go, rewards or no.


If you're lucky, the Amex bear might even give you a hug lol
Wallet: Amex BCE & Chase Freedom. (Credit Card dieting since 2014)

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 pm

My gas purchases are nearly all on my Amex anyway, regardless of any promotion by any other card. That's because my Amex is of the Costco variety, and I buy almost all of my gas at Costco. It's a good 10-15 cents cheaper than anything else around to begin with, and on top of that I get 3% cashback. Ya can't beat that.

The True Earnings also has 2% off on travel and restaurants. Outside of filling up, restaurants are my most frequent expense, so my Amex gets used there too. I have been known to sometimes avoid restaurants that won't take Amex - though I can't always, since I'm a fan of Asian food, and Asian restaurants seem to be in a particular habit of shunning Amex (except Indian places - ALL of which take Amex).

Reclusive46
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:04 am
Location: UK

Postby Reclusive46 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 pm

yfan wrote:though I can't always, since I'm a fan of Asian food, and Asian restaurants seem to be in a particular habit of shunning Amex (except Indian places - ALL of which take Amex).


Haha this so true. No matter where you are in the world (outside of India) Indian restaurants always seem to take Amex. Its always something that surprises me about the US though, I can't recall ever being at restaurant here in the UK that doesn't take Amex! (With the exception of a couple of Burger king franchises, but fast food doesn't count anyway) Some places in the US I seem to struggle to find restaurants that do accept it!
Amex UK Platinum Charge Card
Amex Blue Cash USA
Amex US Gold Corporate Card
World MasterCard Capital One UK (Free abroad + Cashback + Free Cash Withdrawals with no interest)

yfan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Postby yfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Reclusive46 wrote:Haha this so true. No matter where you are in the world (outside of India) Indian restaurants always seem to take Amex. Its always something that surprises me about the US though, I can't recall ever being at restaurant here in the UK that doesn't take Amex! (With the exception of a couple of Burger king franchises, but fast food doesn't count anyway) Some places in the US I seem to struggle to find restaurants that do accept it!

LOL. Well being of Indian origin myself, I chalk this up to the Costco effect, at least in the United States. Indo-Americans are big fans of Costco, and nearly all of us carry that card. Given that so many Indians carry this card (and other Amex cards), Indian restaurants can't really afford not to take Amex.

As for the acceptance discrepancy, I read somewhere that because of regulations, the cost of accepting credit cards is lower in Europe in general than the United States (which generally also translates to less generous rewards) - merchants are happy about this and card companies routinely complain about it.

supercoolman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am
Location: South Bay Area

Postby supercoolman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 am

yfan wrote:LOL. Well being of Indian origin myself, I chalk this up to the Costco effect, at least in the United States. Indo-Americans are big fans of Costco, and nearly all of us carry that card. Given that so many Indians carry this card (and other Amex cards), Indian restaurants can't really afford not to take Amex.

As for the acceptance discrepancy, I read somewhere that because of regulations, the cost of accepting credit cards is lower in Europe in general than the United States (which generally also translates to less generous rewards) - merchants are happy about this and card companies routinely complain about it.



if you go to Canada, a lot of restaurants don't even take credit card. cash only! I learned my lesson on the first trip

Reclusive46
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:04 am
Location: UK

Postby Reclusive46 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:01 pm

supercoolman wrote:if you go to Canada, a lot of restaurants don't even take credit card. cash only! I learned my lesson on the first trip


I must admit I've never been anywhere in Canada that hasn't atleast taken Interac Debit. I've only ever been to one restaurant in the last 5 years in the world that hasn't taken credit cards and that was only because they dropped and broke the card machine the day before! It worked out in my favour anyway as I was 10 EUR short and got away without paying the last 10 EUR.
Amex UK Platinum Charge Card

Amex Blue Cash USA

Amex US Gold Corporate Card

World MasterCard Capital One UK (Free abroad + Cashback + Free Cash Withdrawals with no interest)

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby rockyrock » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:42 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:
I'm sure some think I'm nuts


I don't think you are nuts but I do know you are cheating yourself out of rewards based on loyalty that wouldn't or won't be returned in kind.
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:01 am

I understand what you are saying rocky - I work in corporate American and I know that every place I've been (which is quite a few as I spent a lot of time as a contractor) had loyalty to ONE thing only no matter what double talk and BS is in their "mission statement" - the bottom line.


So I'm fully aware of that. I would expect nothing else. In fact the companies that preach the most about "loyalty" are the worst ones to stab their people in the back after they get done preaching to them. I once worked for a company that bought another company and of course let most of them go, but gave a luncheon for the event and had those people come and as they are in the room about to lose their jobs and they know it, the jackass d-bag of a CEO we have stands up and tells these people "The company owes you loyalty, and you owe the company loyalty". I kid you not. If I were being let go, I swear I would have stood up and said so if the company owes me loyalty why am I being let go? Where can I cash your "loyalty" to me? I wish they would just quit with the hypocritical preaching and just acknowledge this isn't the 50s and neither side owes the other any loyalty and just needs to look out for themselves because no one else will. When I got laid off after 9/11 no one came rushing to my aid but my own family - that wasn't my fault but no one cares and no one else is going to help you, you're on your own jack.


Anyway that aside, I know what you are saying, and I know it's true. However, Amex did show they want my business. I know they could dump me, and likewise I could also dump them. But they did show they want the business which is more than some other lenders did, and while they want my business I'm happy to give it to them as they fit my style and my needs well. That's what I'm saying, and to me that's more important than the rewards - those are just a bonus, literally. I gave Discover plenty of spend but they never warmed to me. Amex though seems to like it. And there are a number of things I like about Amex, such as the no hard pull CLIs, backdating, and so on. The rewards are admittedly just on their own not as good as I can get elsewhere, but the perks on the Platinum are perfect for my travel needs and make it no more expensive than the PRG I had would be per year.

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby rockyrock » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 am

Fair enough. To be honest, just because your loyalty won't be returned isn't a good reason to not have it. We shouldn't base our actions on how the other party will respond, but on what is important to us.
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest